uses cookies which are essential for the site to work. We also use non-essential cookies to help us improve our websites. Any data collected is anonymised. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies

Customer services (COVID-19)
Home   Coronavirus (COVID-19)   Customer services (COVID-19)

Customer services (COVID-19)

Getting in touch

To keep everyone safe we are encouraging residents to contact us:

  • using our website
  • by telephone or email

You can access a number of Council services online, including:

We are experiencing periods of exceptionally high call volumes.

In order to meet our requirement to support our most vulnerable citizens, we may only deal with calls for critical services only.

You can also speak to a member of staff by calling 01294 310000 or emailing

Council Tax

If you have an enquiry relating to Council Tax, please visit the Council Tax section of our website. Here, you can access information including:

  • online application forms
  • the facility to defer your council tax payments

Alternatively you may contact us by email at

Bins, litter and recycling

See the bins, litter and recycling section for information including how to access services online.

If you wish to report an urgent waste issue, you can do so by emailing 

Brooksby Medical Centre

Public access to the Customer Service desk located within Brooksby Medical Centre, Largs, has ceased. Registration services continue to be available by calling 01294 310000.

Making a complaint

Like other public bodies and organisations we are continually assessing the impact of the Coronavirus and our ability to deliver key/critical services.

Whilst we have robust business continuity plans in place for unforeseen events, these unprecedented circumstances have presented substantial challenges which have resulted in service provision in some areas being affected.

Measures have been taken (in line with Government guidance and legislation) to mitigate the impact of the outbreak in North Ayrshire and where we are unable to progress a complaint as a result of these measures, we will inform the complainant and agree next steps.

Self-isolation support grant

If you are required to self-isolate but will lose income because you are unable to work from home, help may be available through the Self-Isolation Support Grant.

Administered through the Scottish Welfare Fund, a payment of £500 is available to workers who are in receipt of low income benefits, who earn less than the Real Living Wage threshold or whose household income is such that it falls within the agreed definition of ‘low income’ and will lose income due to either them, their child or someone they care for self-isolating.

These payments are designed to help ensure people who have tested positive for COVID-19 and their close contacts self-isolate for the required period to stop the onward spread of the virus. They are also designed to encourage individuals who are eligible for the payment to get tested if they have symptoms. This is important to help stop the transmission of COVID-19 and avoid further economic and societal restrictions.

Self-isolation payments are taxable. If you’re employed, you’ll pay tax on the payment if you go over your tax-free personal allowance. Your tax code will change to collect the tax. You will not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment. If you’re self-employed you must report the payment on your Self-Assessment tax return

Am I eligible?

You can apply for the Self-Isolation Support Grant if you are:

  • required by the Test and Protect Service to self-isolate as a result of COVID-19
  • the parent or primary carer of a child under 16 who has been required by the Test and Protect Service, local public health director or a local Incident Management Team notification to self-isolate
  • the primary carer of a person over 16 who is required by the Test and Protect Service or local public health director to self-isolate

and you

  • are aged 16 or over
  • live in the local authority area
  • are employed or self-employed
  • are unable to work from home
  • are in receipt of, or have recently been awarded:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-Based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income Support: Housing Benefit, Pension Credit or means-tested Council Tax Reduction
  • or earn less than the Real Living Wage threshold or your household income is such that it falls within the agreed definition of 'low income’, being no more than 25% above the Universal Credit level
  • and will experience reduced earnings as a result of self-isolating

Ready reckoner

Low income levels for the Self-Isolation Support Grant

If you're a low paid worker, you can apply for the grant if either your personal earnings or household income is below the amounts shown.

You can apply either as an individual worker or as part of a household - whichever means you qualify.

Household typeNumber of children Monthly household income after
deductions (£) 
 Monthly personal earnings before deductions (£)
Single person 0 1,509.05 1,543.75
Couple 0 1,876.25 1,543.75
Single person 1 2,584.21 1,543.75
Couple 1 2,951.42 1,543.75
Single person 2 3,203.01 1,543.75
Couple 2 3,570.21 1,543.75
Single person 3+ 4,059.28 1,543.75
Couple 3+ 4,426.48 1,543.75

How to apply

Apply online and submit your supporting evidence. You can apply at any point up to 28 days from the time you were requested to self-isolate.

Apply here