Is my property at risk?
SEPA's flood maps show sources and potential impacts of flooding and whether the area where you live is at risk.
Who's responsible for what?
North Ayrshire Council's duties
During inspections, any clearance work or repairs are assessed and prioritised. If no immediate action is needed, they are added to our schedule of clearance and repair works.
We have a duty to:
- assess relevant bodies of water to determine whether their condition increases the risk of flooding
- prepare a schedule of works if we find a flood risk and have reason to believe clearance and repair works would substantially reduce this risk
- make schedules of work publicly available
- carry out prevention works within the schedule where we see fit
- provide SEPA information on our rivers and coastline
- work with other local authorities to produce local flood risk management plans
Report flooding on a public road
Property owners' duties
Owners have a responsibility to prevent flooding to their properties.
Individuals with a watercourse within the property boundaries, including piped watercourses, have a responsibility to allow the unrestricted flow of this water through the property. You must keep the watercourse clear of obstructions to reduce the risk of flooding.
North Ayrshire Council has the same duty to maintain watercourses on its land.
If your property has been affected by flooding, complete a
Flooding incident report
Property Flood Resilience
The Living with flooding: action plan recommends actions for a range of stakeholders to take to help promote property flood resilience in Scotland.
If SEPA thinks an area is at risk, they must:
- provide a flood warning service
- carry out a national assessment of flood risks
- produce flood risk and hazard maps
Floodline is a 24 hour information service, providing updates on river, tidal, rainfall and weather forecasts.
For help finding affordable flood insurance for home owners, visit Flood Re.
When there is important flood gate information, we will communicate this via our service alerts.
These alerts will appear below: