The procurement process used depends on factors such as:
- commodities required
- expected spend.
The process of procuring is governed by legislation including North Ayrshire Council's Standing Orders (PDF, 584kb), Scottish and UK Legislation and EU Procurement Directives. The process is as follows:
- The service identifies a need and a budget is approved
- A specification is developed and an Invitation To Quote/Tender is created
- Requirements are advertised on Public Contracts Scotland and the Official Journal of the European Union if expected spend is over EU thresholds*
- Tenders are received from interested suppliers
- Responses are evaluated against stated criteria
- Contract award is made in line with North Ayrshire Council's Standing Orders (PDF, 584kb).
- Award letters / unsuccessful letters are sent to supplier(s)
- Award notice is published on Public Contracts Scotland
*EU thresholds are £181,302 for Goods & Services and £4,551,413 for works.
A detailed explanation called the 'Supplier Journey' can be found on the Scottish Government website with information on working with local authorities.