North Ayrshire Council’s Environmental Health Section is the enforcing authority for the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 in the following types of premises:
- wholesale distribution
- hotel and catering premises
- warehousing consumer/leisure industries
Enquiries regarding health and safety matters in any of these premises can be made to Environmental Health.
Guidance and enforcement
Guidance on the relevant enforcing authority can be found on the Health & Safety Executive website.
North Ayrshire Council is responsible for enforcing health and safety in just under 2,200 premises. This enforcement is carried out by:
- implementing a planned intervention programme based on the type of premises and the work activity undertaken
- investigating accidents and dangerous occurrences that are reported in terms of the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations
- investigating complaints regarding health, safety and welfare in premises
- providing advice on health and safety to employers, employees and members of the public
- working with the Health and Safety Executive, other local authorities and relevant organisations in the promotion of health and safety in the workplace
Information covering the main risk topics in places of employment can be found on the Health & Safety Executive website.
Health and safety information
Guidance on the requirements of the law and how to comply is given to businesses following visits and requests for information. The main source of information is the Health and Safety Executive. Guidance can be found on subjects including:
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002
- Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
- Noise at Work
- Risk Assessment
- Work at Height Regulations 2005
- Workplace Transport Safety
- Young people
Information for new and small businesses
An introduction to health and safety for new and small businesses is available on the HSE website: Health and Safety made simple.
Advice and help on complying with health and safety requirements is available to small businesses from Healthy Working Lives Scotland.