In North Ayrshire, we are exceeding Scottish Government targets set for recycling rates, but we are still generating a lot of rubbish.
We can all cut the amount of rubbish we produce and throw away by Reducing, Reusing and Recycling:
- Reduce – firstly, try to reduce the rubbish we make
- Reuse – secondly, try to reuse the rubbish that we do make
- Recycle – thirdly, try to recycle or compost to make our rubbish into some new and useful
- Energy Recovery - heat and energy released, by burning rubbish in a controlled furnace, is captured and used in nearby houses or fed into the national grid
- Landfill - if rubbish can't be processed in any of the above ways, it is likely to end up in landfill.
Waste Saving Tips
- buy in bulk, save money and reduce waste - did you know that packaging makes up 30% of the weight, and 50% of waste, by volume?
- check out how to reduce food waste.
- repair goods rather than replacing with new items
- buy concentrated forms of items like washing-up liquid and laundry detergent.
Cunninghame Furniture Recycling Company offers a free uplift service for quality reusable furniture and white goods. Call freephone 0800 221 8083, or drop off items at any mainland Recycling Centre.
- wash and reuse food and drink containers
- choose returnable, reusable, or refillable products
- join the Real Nappy Incentive Scheme - did you know that disposable nappies can take from 200-500 years to decompose, producing noxious methane gas in the process?
- buy from charity shops and re-use organisations
- take reusable bags and containers when shopping
- use a mug, or water bottle, at work instead of plastic cups from the dispenser at the water cooler
- buy items made from recycled content
- use and reuse as much as you can, for example, fill both sides of every page in a notebook before moving on to the next one
- buy quality clothing that won't wear out and can be handed down to friends and family, or to charity
- donate clothes and bric-a-brac to your favourite high street charity shop.
Stop unwanted mail
Over a third of all direct mail is thrown straight in the blue bin, unopened? Follow our 5 steps to stop unwanted mail.